During the orientation and planning phase (2006-2008), the Chinese and German project partners have worked out a series of topics on which they will work on during the realization phase (2009-2013). Those topics are:
- Energy efficiency and reduction of green house emissions as well as sustainable urban mobility (This also includes the provision of secure, clean, affordable and low noise mobility as well as the accessibility to transportation.)
- Adaptation and/or development of new concepts and technologies which account for the different mobility needs of diverse users (user friendliness, acceptability) as well as for the socio-economic and regulative conditions (political and public awareness)
- Realization of effective and sustainable concepts as well as demonstration and implementation of technologies and measures in the traffic management center in Hefei
- Feasibility study of the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) as alternative finance source for the traffic management systems and other measures aiming at an energy efficient traffic system
- Accompanying the planning processes of city development and transportation in Hefei and the region aiming at capacity building (political education, initiation of processes, institutions, participation in the transformation of the Chinese society)
- Transfer of transportation measures to other Chinese mega cities and worldwide for the increase of energy efficiency and for the reduction of negative environmental impacts of transportation.
Based on the technological potentials, an evaluation and assessment of technological solutions as well as organizational solutions, e.g. traffic management system, was conducted in the orientation phase. In the second phase of the METRASYS project, the solutions will be implemented. During the orientation and planning phase, one work package was the analysis of the political, social and economic conditions as well as a feasibility study of sustainable mobility concepts and technological solutions. Those were based on a close cooperation and knowledge exchange between the Chinese and German partners.
As regard to the realization of the traffic management system, ASEC already installed a vehicle fleet management system for private taxicabs fleets in Hefei during the first phase of the METRASYS project.